Reflexology for the Menstrual Cycle & Menopause
The Menstrual Cycle
A "normal" menstrual cycle repeats every 29 to 32 days with ovulation taking place days 13-15 before menstruation begins. However, cycle length and ovulation do not always fall into neat patterns. Reflexology may support female health by helping with hormonal imbalances allowing the menstrual cycle to settle into a natural rhythm.
Reflexology may help with the following menstrual problems:
- Regulating cycle length
- Premenstrual Tension (PMT)
- Painful periods (Dysmenorrhoea)
- Heavy periods (Menorrhagia)
- Absence of periods (Amenorrhoea)
- Infrequent or Very Light Periods (Oligomenorrhea)
Please see the following link to see how reflexology helped women with menstrual cycle problems:
Perimenopause & Menopause
The menopause is a time in a woman's life when menstruation ceases and for many this occurs naturally and without any problems. The average age in the UK is 51 but the normal range is 45-55. It is a natural, gradual process during which a woman's body moves from her fertile, childbearing years into hopefully a calmer and more relaxed phase of her life.
The menopause can be divided into 3 phases:
- The Pre-menopause: this is usually from around age 40. During this phase hormonal changes are starting to take place but may be hardly noticeable. There may be a changed menstruation pattern and occasional hot flushes.
- The Peri-menopause: The function of the ovaries declines and the periods become irregular. This is the phase when most physical changes will be noticed.
- The Post-Menopause: This is the phase from the time of the last menstrual period.
Most women will find the menopause a positive experience. However, some women find the menopause challenging as it involves physical, mental and emotional elements. Conventional medical treatment for menopausal symptoms may include taking Hormonal Replacement Therapy (HRT) and various medications to help with depression and hot flushes. Lifestyle changes can also help such as taking regular exercise, staying cool at night, eating an optimal diet, cutting down on caffeine, alcohol or spicy food and giving up smoking.
Reflexology is a natural complementary therapy which can provide support for a menopausal women physically, mentally and emotionally. It may help her to tune into her needs, help with any imbalances and provide some time for her to relax and focus on herself. Common menopausal symptoms which may be helped by regular reflexology treatments include:
- Relieving stress & anxiety
- Hot flushes
- Night Sweats
- Sleep disturbances
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Irritability or mood swings
- Irregular or heavy periods